Skip to content
Recruiting now.Explore navy careers

HMS Sultan sailors help out at Crofton Hammond Infant and Junior schools

12 June 2018
Volunteers from HMS Sultan visited two schools in Stubbington recently in order to help improve their outward appearance.

Trainees from the Defence College of Technical Training’s Defence School of Marine Engineering spent several days at both Crofton Hammond Junior and Crofton Hammond Infant Schools.

Activities undertaken included clearing away overgrown vegetation from courtyards and around the perimeters, repotting plants, planting flower beds made out of sleepers and painting rails and a gazebo.

Engineering Technician, Marine Engineering Matt Dunne said: “We’ve all enjoyed volunteering at the School. The teachers have all said what a good job we’ve done and how they would never have been able to get the jobs done.”

“The activity has been good for teambuilding and it’s good for the children to see the Navy out doing something positive within the local community.”

The activity has been good for teambuilding and it’s good for the children to see the Navy out doing something positive within the local community

Engineering Technician, Marine Engineering Matt Dunne

Jacky Halton, Headteacher at Crofton Hammond Infant School said: “The young people who came to work at our school left a very positive impression on us all.

They undertook a huge number of tasks and gave the school a massive lift. They were a pleasure to have around and were at all times courteous, respectful and friendly.” 

“We loved the way that they interacted with the children in a totally appropriate way. I had several children who talked to me about them and then went on to say that they would like to be in the Navy when they grew up!”

“Over 30% of our children are from service families so it has been a really positive experience for them, but also for the other 70% who have had a chance to find out some of the work done by the Navy - in addition to working 'aboard'!”

Related articles

Navy News Magazine

We bring you the latest news, features and award-winning photographs from the front-line. Navy News has been reporting on all that happens in the Royal Navy and its wider community since 1954.