10 courses per year
To train officers and senior ratings as Flight Deck Officers in single spot helicopter operating ships
Classroom and practical training covering:
- Flight Deck Officer Responsibilities
- Helicopter operations
- Flight deck safety and aircraft hazards
- Preparations for flying
- Aircraft Marshalling Signals
- Wind limitations
- Insight into ground handling of aircraft on flight decks only
- Vertical Replenishment (VERTREP) and helicopter transfer routines
- Communications – theory and practice
- Aircraft Alert States
- Helicopter In-Flight Refuelling
- Helicopter Rotor Running Refuelling
- Flight safety
- Air weapons
- Flight deck surfaces and markings
- Decontamination of aircraft
- Marshalling practice
- Fire fighting
Candidates need to be able to operate a high-speed radio circuit in English fluently.
Minimum eyesight standard required is VA3/CP3.
N.B. As the course reference material is on CD ROM, students must be computer literate and conversant with Microsoft Applications.
Exams and Qualifications gained
A pass gains probationary FDO status.