Qualified Engineering Technician (RFA)
Learn how our ships work, providing the power that keeps them moving. Without you, vital operations would grind to a halt.
- A-Levels / college qualifications
- Royal Fleet Auxiliary
- Rating level
We’re on operations all over the world, so I’m constantly experiencing new things. The work I do has a big impact on how the ship runs, which is a great feeling, but it also comes with a lot of responsibility
What you’ll do
As a Qualified Engineering Technician, you’ll perform the duties of a highly-trained Engineer Rating, monitoring and maintaining vital equipment. This is a role that requires real technical ability and is key to ensuring we can provide vital logistical and operational support to the Royal Navy, all over the world. This is like no other merchant navy job. It’s an extremely challenging position in an organisation that’s integral to protecting our nation’s interests.
The mechanical and electrical systems you work with every day are essential to the operational capacity of the ship, from the ship's hotel services and air conditioning that makes life comfortable on board to the essential operational equipment that delivers task group capability. You’re a key part of the engineering team that keeps our vessels running smoothly. In return for your efforts, you’ll get world-class training and the chance to gain fully funded qualifications.
- Travel the world, experiencing a wide range of new environments.
- Play a part in diverse operations, from assisting Royal Marines, to disaster relief.
- Work with a variety of complex engineering systems, across all the different vessels in our fleet, from tackling operational equipment, auxiliary systems and fixed firefighting installations, and everything in between.
- This is the perfect role for people seeking both personal development and a progressive career at the highest level of the engineering industry.
Pay & benefits
- Starting salary of over £29,500
- 21 days leave for every month spent at work onboard ship
- Free phone calls home when you’re deployed outside the UK
- Reimbursed travel and accommodation
- Excellent career average, defined benefit pension scheme
- Access to superb sports and fitness facilities at Royal Navy shore bases
- Defined routes to professional accreditation and status with IMarEST
Skills for life
Qualifications you'll gain
- Training will be a constant feature of your time in the RFA, with the opportunity for you to gain the qualifications that will leave you well placed for career progression
- All relevant courses and qualifications will be paid for by us
Skills you'll develop
- Learn a variety of hands-on engineering skills
- Build on your previous experience and qualifications
- Alongside your specialist engineering training, you will be taught to take your place in the ship’s emergency team, where you will carry out specific RFA roles, such as firefighting and damage control
- Aged at least 17 years 6 months to apply, and 18 years to commence employment. There is no upper age limit
- A Level 2 qualification in Engineering, or equivalent (e.g. NVQ, BTEC or GCSE)
- Previous experience of leading and managing teams of engineering personnel
- Seagoing experience of marine engineering, mechanical or electrical maintenance, fault diagnosis and repair procedures
- Must be British, Irish or Commonwealth citizens. However, a number of career paths have nationality restrictions. Dual Nationality will be considered providing the first nationality is British. Note: Residency restrictions may apply
- Need to have confidence with jumping into water and the ability to wade whilst wearing a life jacket
Skills & Interests
- High capability in engineering
- An ability to multi-task and keep cool under pressure
- An adventurous spirit
- We’re looking for someone who will enjoy working on diverse and complex equipment, on ships all over the world
- Different operations offer unique working environments and we need someone who will get stuck into every task with the determination to find a solution, whatever the problem
- It is essential you have good teamwork skills, as you will need to collaborate with the rest of the engineering team, and the wider ship’s company
From picking your role to starting on your first day, these are the steps you'll take to join as a rating.
Got a question?
Our virtual recruiter is available to answer your questions 24 hours a day