Qualified Chef (RFA)
Use your cookery skills to make an increasingly important contribution to a truly global effort.
- A-Levels / college qualifications
- Royal Fleet Auxiliary
- Rating level
I get involved with all aspects of catering on board and have the opportunity to learn – and use my culinary skills. And when I’ve finished feeding my crewmates I get to explore the places we’re docked
What you’ll do
As a Chef in the Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA), you’ll be part of the team that provides healthy and nutritious meals for your ship’s company. Your hard work is what keeps them going, and vital operations on track.
The RFA is responsible for making sure the Royal Navy has everything it needs to continue protecting our nation’s interests all over the world. So, as you develop your cookery skills, you’ll make an increasingly important contribution to a truly global effort, whether you’re getting breakfast out on time, or catering for a unit of Royal Marines about to deploy.
- Continue your professional cookery career by leading a team and creating varied menus for the entire crew.
- Outside of the galley, you’ll have crucial duties to perform as part of the ship’s company, including firefighting, first aid, and being a member of the damage control team.
- Unlike most civilian chef roles, you’ll have real responsibility from the day you start, working in challenging environments all over the world.
- It’s your job to make the ship feel like a home from home for your crewmates. Many of them will be at sea for months at a time and will look forward to the food you cook, whether it’s Friday Fish, or dinner for a social event.
Pay & benefits
- A starting salary of £28,000 to £39,000 experience dependant
- Earned Voyage Leave (EVL) of 21 days for every month spent on board ship
- Membership of a Civil Service Pension Scheme
- World-class training
- Potential to travel the world
Skills for life
Qualifications you'll gain
- Fully funded Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA) certification portfolio
- The ability to conduct a range of catering activities across the full spectrum of the Galley
Skills you'll develop
- Training will be a constant feature of your time with us, as you receive world-class development packages
- Aged at least 17 years 6 months to apply, and 18 years to commence employment. There is no upper age limit
- Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Professional Cookery, or equivalent (MNTB Ship’s Cook CoC / City & Guilds etc)
- Level 2 or higher Certificate in Food Safety or equivalent
- Existing qualifications and experience in a professional catering environment
- Applications with supervisory experience are highly desirable
- Must be a British or Irish national, a Commonwealth citizen who has lived in the UK continuously for the 5 years prior to applying, or a dual national
- Need to have confidence with jumping into water and the ability to wade whilst wearing a life jacket
Skills & Interests
- A passion for cooking
- Drive and enthusiasm
- Enjoy working as part of a team
- A sense of adventure
From picking your role to starting on your first day, these are the steps you'll take to join as a rating.
Got a question?
Our virtual recruiter is available to answer your questions 24 hours a day