Engineering Technician (Weapon Engineering) (Submariner)
You’ll maintain the firepower and defensive technology of a Royal Navy submarine.
- £18,000 - £76,000
- No qualifications
- Submarine Service
- Rating level
It’s a real team effort to keep a submarine safe and running well. It’s extremely rewarding when we solve a problem under pressure, as we have to be very self reliant when we’re submerged.
What you’ll do
As an Engineering Technician (Weapon Engineering) (Submariner) in the elite Silent Service, you’ll be a key member of your vessel’s engineering team. Patrolling the oceans and maintaining and operating some of the most advanced defence technology, you’ll be hands on with formidable kit. From working with ballistic missile systems one day, state-of-the-art sensors and radars the next and high-tech comms systems another, every day will be different.
It’s much more than that though. Because a submarine’s first line of defence is its stealth and superior sensors, you’ll have to know every detail about your submarine - from the onboard systems and how it communicates, to its lethal effectiveness through superior Strategic and Tactical Systems. This means the safety and success of the boat – and your crewmates - is in your hands.
It takes something special to be a Submariner, living below the surface and being responsible for our nation’s nuclear deterrent, firepower, and stealth. It’s what makes you elite.
- Take responsibility for the safety of your crewmates. Whether that’s ensuring your boat is able to defend itself, or identifying threats and helping the submarine stay undetected.
- Maintain and operate the complex communication, detection and weapon systems, and guarantee missiles, and torpedoes are fully operational.
- Get your hands on some of the most sophisticated electronic equipment in existence, working with your team, and under the guidance of the Engineer Officer.
- Complete daily rounds, checking equipment to ensure the ship remains operational, and finding innovative solutions when there’s a problem.
Pay & benefits
- A salary that rises to over £23,000, as soon as you finish training
- A £5,000 bonus on being awarded your Dolphins – the mark of a qualified Submariner
- Additional Submariner pay each day at sea when fully qualified
- An excellent non-contributory pension scheme – we pay into it for you, so you don’t have to sacrifice any salary
- Six weeks of paid holiday every year
- Free medical and dental care
- Extra financial bonuses if you’re on a longer operation
- Forces Help to Buy scheme – a 0% loan to get you on, or further up, the housing ladder
- Subsidised travel, accommodation and food
Skills for life
Qualifications you'll gain
- A Level 2 Apprenticeship in Maritime Mechanical Electrical Mechanic
Opportunities open to you
- Study for GCSEs, then A-Levels in subjects including English, Maths and Science.
- Gain specialist vocational - such as a Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship in Engineering Manufacture.
- Eventually, you can work toward a degree like Electronic Engineering depending on your career progression.
Skills you'll develop
- Learn to maintain and operate some of the most cutting-edge weapon systems, radars and detection equipment on the planet.
- Develop your natural aptitude for fixing things.
- Gain the discipline and teamwork skills that are essential for life on-board a submarine.
- You must be aged between 16-39
- No qualifications are required for this role
- You must be a United Kingdom citizen or British Dual National. Dual Nationality restrictions do apply
- You must have lived in the UK for 5 years continuously prior to application
- You need to be a minimum height of 157cm
- A Body Mass Index (BMI) between 18 and 28 (between 17 and 27 if under 18)
- Pass the Naval Swimming Test
Skills & Interests
- A quick thinker, with a passion for working with the latest equipment and technology
- A problem-solver who can work well as part of a team
- A real sense of adventure and great people skills
- Enthusiasm for fixing and maintaining electronic and mechanical systems
From picking your role to starting on your first day, these are the steps you'll take to join as a rating.
Once you’ve passed a Security Check, you’ll be offered a place at HMS Raleigh
Got a question?
Our virtual recruiter is available to answer your questions 24 hours a day