Biomedical Scientist (Student)
Get paid to study at Aston University to become a qualified Biomedical Scientist and contribute to the medical capability of the Royal Navy.
- £16,500 - £52,500
- A-Levels / college qualifications
- Surface Fleet
- Rating level
I’m multi-disciplinary, which means I get really varied work, whether I’m on board ship, or in an NHS hospital.
What you’ll do
Saving and safeguarding the lives of our most important asset: our people. Once you’ve completed your fully-funded Biomedical Science degree, this is what your job will be all about. Helping care for survivors at the scene of a natural disaster. On rotation in an NHS hospital. Conducting blood transfusions in conflict zones where trauma patients need lifesaving treatment.
Wherever you are, and whatever you’re up against, as a Royal Navy Biomedical Scientist, you’ll support our medical teams with an essential clinical laboratory service. You’ll help ensure the wellbeing of our people, and will be crucial to the success of every operation.
- Practise all the major laboratory disciplines, whether you’re in a hospital in Birmingham, or on board a ship off the coast of Bahrain
- Combine your degree with military training to prepare for life in the Navy
- Play a key role in supporting deployed personnel as well as those stationed in the UK
- Be part of a world-class medical service that’s respected far beyond the Armed Forces
Pay & benefits
- A salary of up to £20,000 while studying at university
- Earn at least £34,000 after university and initial training
- An excellent pension scheme
- Six weeks of paid holiday every year
- Free medical and dental care
Skills for life
Qualifications you'll gain
- BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science
- An opportunity to study further at Degree level 6 and Masters level 7 to top up your professional portfolio
- How to support medical teams with clinical lab service, wherever they are in the world
- Experience every laboratory discipline, and develop throughout your career
- Aged 17.5 to 36
- Evidence of academic study within the last 5 years
- 2 weeks of clinical experience
- 3 x A level at ABB-BBB - must include Biology or Human Biology
- Some BTEC qualifications may be considered. Check with MSAT PO
- 5 at min grade 4/C to include Maths, English Language and Science - Functional Skills or key skills not accepted
- You must be a British or Irish national, a Commonwealth citizen, or a Dual National - Dual Nationality restrictions apply
- A Body Mass Index (BMI) between 18 and 28 (between 17 and 27 if under 18)
- Pass the Naval Swimming Test
Skills & interests
- An aptitude for technical thinking in the clinical environment
- A caring and compassionate nature
- A passion for helping people
- A team player
- An adventurous spirit
From picking your role to starting on your first day, these are the steps you'll take to join as a rating.
Got a question?
Our virtual recruiter is available to answer your questions 24 hours a day