University Royal Naval Units (URNU) sits under the command of Britannia Royal Naval College (BRNC). It’s designed give university students a broader understanding of Royal Navy life. With the chance to gain transferable skills, from public speaking to organisation, by exposing you to leadership and management opportunities.
Careers / Joining options
University Royal Naval Unit
What you'll get
- Opportunity to experience military life without any commitment.
- Get paid to be involved.
- Meet likeminded people and build friendships that could last a lifetime.
- Experience deployed on a Royal Navy warship.
- Gain a CMI Level 4 qualification in Leadership and Management.
- Gain Royal Yachting Association (RYA) qualifications.
- Travel to new places, all over the world.
What you'll need
To become an Officer Cadet, you must be:
- attending a university within an hour’s travel of the existing URNU
- in good health – you will be required to pass a medical
- a national of the UK or Ireland. Or a Commonwealth citizen who has lived in the UK continuously for 5 years prior to application
- willing to make the most of a wide range of command, leadership and management experiences that will be put into practice on weekly training nights and at sea in the Maritime environment
- proactive, motivated, with good teamwork skills, and a sense of fun.
Got a question?
Need help finding your ideal role?
Our virtual recruiter is available to answer your questions 24 hours a day